Mr Lam Kau Mow came to Hong Kong from his hometown in Xinhui, Guangdong in the late 19th century. He joined the Lam Woo and Co., Engineers and Builders founded by his third brother Lam Woo. Besides taking part in various great projects in Shanghai and Guangzhou, the company constructed many of the early buildings in Hong Kong. It also participated in a multitude of projects such as road building, reclamation and dock construction.
The Lam brothers founded the Chung Shun Land Investment Co., Ltd. in 1928. Since the establishment of the company until his retirement in 1940, Mr. Lam devoted himself to running the business. In 1998, Chung Shun celebrated its 70th anniversary and set up a student dormitory of Chung Shun Hall on the campus of Lingnan University.
Mr Lam was well-respected in the construction field and the community for his honest and practical business approach. He was thus elected as the chairman of the Hong Kong Construction Association. During his tenure, he led the association to scale new heights such as purchasing its own premises, which laid the foundation for its future development. Later Mr Lam and his son Zemin founded Lam Construction Co., Ltd.
Kind and charitable, Mr Lam made generous donations and contributions to the community. For instance, he was a director of Hong Kong Tung Wah Group of Hospitals and Po Leung Kuk. To commemorate their ancestors, the descendants of Mr Lam established Lam Kau Mow Building in Xinhui People's Hospital and SKH Lam Kau Mow Secondary School in Hong Kong.